Smokey beef empanadas
40 minutes to make
40 minutes to cook
1tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
300g beef mince
1tsp ground cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
250g tin chopped tomatoes
200ml beef bone broth
200g frozen peas, defrosted
2-3tbsp soured cream, crème fraiche or greek yoghurt
For the pastry
250g plain flour
½ tsp fine salt
100g cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 egg, beaten
30ml cold water
1tsp white wine vinegar
- Finely slice the onion. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes then add the beef mince and brown all over. Add the cumin and paprika and the chopped tomatoes and beef stock. Season well and simmer for 30 minutes until thickened. Spread out into a dish to cool completely.
- Tip the flour and salt into a bowl and rub the cold butter into it with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs. Mix half the beaten egg with the cold water and vinegar and add to the bowl and mix in quickly. Bring together with your hands and knead very briefly to make it a smooth dough. Shape into a disc, wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the peas and soured cream to the filling.
- Heat the oven to 200c fan 180c.
- Divide the pastry into 6 even sized pieces and roll into balls. Roll out into a disc shape and use a cutter or small plate to cut them into 16cm circles. Discard any trimmings.
- Put a spoonful of the mixture into the centre of each disc. Fold over adn crimp like a cornish pasty.
- Transfer to a lined baking sheet and brush all over with beaten egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.